Port & Shipyardnfamiliarisation courses help develop expert knowledge for Marine Professionals
17 April 2015
Marine insurance professionals have a number of opportunities this year to go behind the scenes at ports in Piraeus, Greece, Falmouth, UK and Singapore, to understand at first-hand the technical aspects of damage encountered in marine losses, as well as their surveying, investigating and reporting techniques.
Hosted free of charge by Braemar (Incorporating The Salvage Association), ("Braemar SA") each course will enable invited participants from the marine insurance market the opportunity to gain basic practical knowledge and background which will help them to interpret surveyor's reports when dealing with marine claims and insurance.
Braemar SA has been running this popular initiative for many years, reinforcing its commitment to the industry by providing background knowledge and understanding to marine insurance professionals on important aspects of ship construction, shipyard operations, and their repair procedures.
The courses offered for 2015 include:
Port & Shipyard Familiarisation 3 Day Course, Piraeus, May
• Tour of local dry and floating docks
• Tour of Perama repair zone to see underwater hull sections and slipway where vessel is under construction
• Visit to Elefsis Shipyards
• Guided tour of a Hellenic Navy Fast Attack Craft
• Potential guided tour of a Mega Yacht
• Visit to Drapetsona repair zone and guided tour of inter-island ferry, seeing a full active engine room
• Trip to local machinery workshop to see engine components under repair
• Opportunity to board local salvage tug to see towing and salvage equipment
Port & Shipyard Familiarisation 2 Day Course, Falmouth, May
• Tour of A&P Falmouth shipyard operations, including dry dock and repair workshops
• Guided tour of local superyacht building yard
• Boat trip around anchorage to see ships being bunkered and in lay-up
• A visit to the MCA Marine Coastguards and tour of their local facilities and operations
Port & Shipyard Familiarisation Course, Singapore, November
• One-day intensive course
• Visit to ship under repair
• Course partners include Smit International and Sembawang Shipyard
All the above itineraries are subject to availability and weather conditions nearer the time.
All of the courses include a range of technical presentations given by industry specialists and Braemar SA's technical personnel. Feedback from previous participants has been extremely positive with attendees praising the level of detailed information delivered and the superb opportunities for vessel and port visits provided.
Nigel Clark, Managing Director of Braemar SA, said: "We are delighted to be able to offer these courses. We believe the detailed industry knowledge provided by our free courses benefits all participants who gain a deeper understanding of all aspects of marine claims and we are pleased to be able to provide this service for the benefit of the shipping community."